Two Is More

I am so thankful for the talent God has given me. The gifts that He has provided me to be able to do what I love all day and make a living for my family, words can not fully describe. I have much appreciation and thanks to the King of Kings!

I also have an appreciation for Mrs. Sharon. She and her husband were on a motorcycle trip and decided to stop into the shop for the first time. I must have been working on a quilt top, or maybe it was the sample quilts on the wall, I can't quite remember, but she admired my work and our relationship took off from there! A few weeks later she had shipped a quilt to me to work on for her granddaughter. I have done several for her, the latest which are these two.

Here is a before picture of the Seahawk's quilt for her daughter. I like seeing the before picture before it is all quilted so there is appreciation for the longarm quilting!


A closeup of the individual pinwheel block. I used monofilament thread in this entire block. When it came to the darker blocks with the Seahawk fabric I chose to use Superior So Fine in a navy color. 

Here is a picture of the entire quilt finished.... can you find the "Oooppss"?
Fourth block up from the bottom on the right side, there is a silver colored block that is not finished! We had a longarm group meeting at the shop the day after I finished this quilt and thank God we did because a kind friend pointed it out! Thank goodness I hadn't shipped it off yet! I was able to remount the quilt and complete my "ooppss". Boy am I glad that I had a friend point that out!


Here is Sharon's tulip quilt. She used Northcott fabric to do this one. I had quilted another tulip quilt earlier this summer for her and so I wanted to make sure this one took on an entirely different look. 


I chose to use monofilament thread on this quilt as well. I feel like it enhanced the quilt and didn't detract from the beautiful fabrics!

I really like how the outside border looks like it is blowing in the wind. Combining both straight line quilting and more rounded motifs makes for a dynamic quilt. The background fabric, which the tulips are appliqued on, already had a motion to it, so I followed it. Sometimes, it is a lot easier to use what is already there to make the quilting blend and enhance the quilting in other areas. I believe I pulled this off! 
 Another admission: When I began to quilt the pink squares I chose to change thread and use a hot pink. I began quilting a motif and finished three of the pink squares. I soon decided that I was not happy with the result.... so I ripped it all out! The ten minutes it took to quilt those darn things only took about an hour to rip out!! So, instead,  I chose to do straight line quilting in these blocks. There was a peacefulness that filled me after and I knew I made the right choice!

I sent Sharon's quilts off soon after they were finished to their new respected homes. I sent her pictures of the completed quilts and she was absolutely thrilled with the results! As a longarm quilter, there is nothing better than having a happy customer, especially one that entrusts her quilt tops to you and says, "Do your thing!"

Thank you Sharon!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Place

Hello :)

Tulip Fields