Happy Place

***Don't forget to follow me on Instagram! @dancingwithfrancis for daily inspiration! ***



This quilt pattern is from the great gals over at Sew Kind of Wonderful. The invention of their Quick Curve Ruler (QCR) is fantastic and makes cutting those curves a piece of cake. Also, the pattern directions are easy to read and follow. Add all of this to the easy, and yes, it is easy, curved piecing and you create a beautiful quilt! 



I had been wanting to complete this pattern for a about a year. I had the perfect opportunity to go to my local clubs Kamp Sew a Lot ( a three day, in town, retreat, with lots of yummy food, friends and laughter). I decided that this is the quilt that I would make while I was there. I did cut out all my pieces before going, and it did take me all three days to complete this quilt top. There really was a lot of sewing happening in our group! 

Normally I am a three color person when it comes to quilts. I love white as a background because it magnifies the quilting and really shows off texture. I also love blues/greens and normally stick to something in that range. Then of course I need a "zinger" color to make it pop. I went outside of my comfort zone with this quilt. I wanted to make it look scrappy and include lots of different colors. I wanted it to be bright and happy, hence the name "Happy Place", so when I look at it brings a smile to my face. I supported our local quilt shops with my purchases and came up with the colors that you see. 



Once I completed the top it was time to quilt it! My favorite part! The great thing about Sew Kind of Wonderful is that they also have an accompaning longarm quilting ruler that has the perfect curve shape to longarm quilt their patterns. Of course I invested in one! I also used double batting Quilter's Dream cotton/poly blend for the bottom and wool on top. Texture, texture, texture! I used monofilament thread from Madeira on the top and Superior So Fine #50 for the bottom. 



I learned about a key feature on Francis as well! I knew that I could raise my hopping foot on him, but I had never had the need to do so. Well, let me tell you! When you have double batting, and a bunch of seams coming together I had to raise it up. Easy! Innova makes it super simple to do and super simple to put back into position when you are done with this thick quilt! Raising my hopping foot allowed all the bulkage from the seams to be quilted down and lay flat. You can't even tell there are a bunch of seams coming together! Love my Francis! 



I really enjoyed piecing and quilting this quilt. I was so honored when Sew Kind of Wonderful re-posted the picture I put on Facebook and Instagram. I put a lot of time, talent and treasure into my creations and to be rewarded with kind words and promotion for my business is a true blessing. 




If you would like to see my quilt hanging, head on over to Sleepy Valley Quilt Company! They have a great selection of fabric to make this quilt, plus the pattern and ruler! A previous customer, who didn't know I had moved back and was quilting for customer's again, saw "Happy Place" and asked if I had quilted it. Just goes to show that when you are dedicated to your work, are patient with yourself and continue to learn to improve your techniques, you create your own style. Then, when you have something showing, people recognize the quilting and also the person who completed it! Follow your dreams, don't give up and enjoy the process! 


Happy Quilting to you!




Comments

  1. This is quilted so beautifully! I have FINALLY got my chic country spray basted,some roughly3 years in, and am starting a large pillow cover to practice quilting designs. Yours are the most beautiful I’ve seen. I wish you’d done video, though I’d probably lay and watch another month before getting to the tops!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Hello :)

Tulip Fields