Rother Quilt

What a busy October it has been! Mimi and I were vendors at the West Sound Quilt Show in Bremerton, WA the first weekend of October. And then there were vow renewals for friends, a new puppy, birthdays, doctors appointments. I am sure you know how time can get away from you! Anyways, here is a quilt I have been working on and finally finished! The Rother's absolutley loved it! And the husband made it! How cool is that! Not very often do I find men quilter's and I love to see their color choices and design work. Everyone can be a quilter!

So here is what I did. I took a picture of the quilt before it was quilted. I like to do this so I can see before and after pictures and critique my own work later. Decide, if I ever were to get another one similiar, how could I improve or change my work.

I just received EQ7 and have enjoyed playing around with it. So I thought what a great way to improve my computer skills and learn the software than to design this quilt in it! I got pretty darn close to the quilt! Still have to work on my border treatments in the design program. Anyways, it was a lot of fun to do this because I could draw out what I wanted the quilting to look like! 


From there I was able to mount the quilt and get to work! I used Superior So Fine in the bobbin and Madeira white on the top. In the red areas I switched to Superior So Fine to get those cute little circles. What I love about my machine is that the tension is pretty darn great! The back of this quilt is solid red and even with the white top thread I was using, you couldn't tell by looking at the back! I should have taken a picture but time got away from me!


I enjoyed the challenge of the cross hatching. I did a lot of ripping to try and get the lines to match up. I probably won't do cross hatching for a while, just because it's a lot of work and I want to work on a few other techniques. What I should have done was mark everything before I mounted the quilt. Next time! 

The red sashing borders I did last! I couldn't decide what to do! So I came up with circles and straight lines. There were so many straight lines in this quilt that I wanted a softer look. I am happy with how they turned out.


 Here is the completed quilt! The Rother's loved it and were happy to be taking it home!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Place

Hello :)

Tulip Fields