12th Quilter Fan

I love football! I love my Seahawk's! Maybe they can make it to the Super Bowl again?! I am hopeful. Needless to say we have a lot of 12 fans here in the great state of Washington. So it would be normal to have several Seahawk's themed quilts arrive in my studio. This one is completed by a quilter friend whom I have had the pleasure of doing many of her quilts. I love Karen because she brings me the quilt and says "Go for it". This is my favorite phrase in the world because I am limitless in my quilting designs!


 After just completing the Rother quilt (my previous post) I wanted to challenge myself to use straight line quilting only in this quilt. So I did! And it turned out wonderfully!


When Karen dropped her quilt off she was a little worried about the center of the quilt. The embroidery was beautiful, however, the center of the quilt did not lay flat. I told her not to worry! I can do this! Below is a picture of the center of the quilt before I completed the inside portion.


 I started this quilt and worked my way from top to bottom. To help ease in the fullness of the center embroidery design, I cut a piece of wool batting to fit, and placed it on top of the cotton batting. This allowed the center to be full of batting and allow the fabric room to settle. I continued to quilt down the quilt. I tackled the big "12" last in this quilting journey.


I love straight line quilting! I had to mark registration lines inside the center to give me targets to hit. I used a "starburst" design to draw the audiences eye toward the center of the quilt. I am thrilled with how this turned out. 
 
I also did lime green thread throughout the entire back. Thanks to my top tension gauge and my bobbin tension gauge, I had near perfect tension!



I used Madeira thread for the blue areas and I used Superior So Fine in the lime green and for the bobbin. 
Challenges are good! They turn us into creative quilters and allow the brain to see more than what is right in front of us. This quilt spoke to me in straight lines and I am so glad this was my challenge!





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Place

Hello :)

Tulip Fields