Time Goes By...

Here it is, December 1st and I am finally getting around to writing another post for all of you. It has been a crazy couple of months since the last post. Much has been happening. For starters, two quilt retreats, a new job, a new house to renovate, oh and a baby on the way (due in June)! Time sure has gone by and it doesn't feel like three months since we moved to Michigan. Winter is upon us and so is the quilting season here. As the snow flurries come down today and the warmth of the house envelopes me, I feel the creative vibe coming on and the many things I hope to accomplish this winter, besides getting the nursery ready!

Here is a quilt that I cut out in Forks, WA when Mimi and I were at a show. I then pieced it in Sequim in July after I came home from my trip to Poland. Now, in Michigan I have finally quilted it! I wonder what state the binding will go on in? :)

This is a Sew Kind of Wonderful Quick Curve Ruler pattern and it was a lot of fun to do! Those girls really know how to create masterful quilts with their ruler.

I just love texture...don't you? In this quilt I used a Quilter's Dream Blend Batting. I didn't want a super heavy quilt so I left the wool out of this one and I wasn't sure of its purpose at the time of quilting so I just chose a batting. Sometimes you just have to go for it! 

I did use Superior So Fine #50 white thread for the white areas on the quilt. I then switched to Madeira's Mono-filament for the inside of the green sections. I don't normally like colored thread on quilts where I can get away with using mono-filament to achieve a good texture design. 

Here is a picture of the quilt on the design wall. My new studio is still being slowly organized. Francis had to get a little of himself in on this one! I know I refer to my machine as an actual human being, but seriously, this machine makes my life so easy and does beautiful work. I am the artist and I do get to boss him around, but if it weren't for the quality of his character, I would not be half the artist I am today.

Up close picture of the center squares of the wedding ring. I didn't know what I wanted to do in these little squares, so of course I saved it for last! 

Here is a side view of the wedding ring completed.




These colored shapes were a challenge to figure out what to do. I used mono-filament thread because I didn't want to see thread color and I simply went around each quadrant twice. Simple. 


There you go! A quilt that began in one state and is being finished in another. What do your quilts tell you? What do your quilts remind you of? I think these questions are important to the process of completing a quilt. Each one has its own fingerprint on our lives.

I promise not to wait two months to post another blog! Let me know what you think, what you are working on, or any trouble shooting you may have!

Until next time,
Brianne

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Place

Hello :)

Tulip Fields