From Washington to Michigan

Good Morning from Michigan!

I am sitting here at the dining room table watching the snow fall and enjoying a nice hot cup of decaf coffee and granola with fresh blueberries from this summer. Yummy! Only thing that could be better is if the coffee was regular! Little Baby, however, isn't supposed to have too much caffeine in one day.

How was your New Years and Christmas? Tommy and I had a wonderful time with family for Christmas. We are truly blessed to have our family and friends. New Years Eve we made it up until about 11:30 and then we both fell asleep on the couch! We woke up at 12:05,  wished each other a Happy New Year and went to bed!

I wanted to share with you a quilt that actually came across country when we moved to Michigan back in September. Can you believe it has already been 4 months since our arrival?! I cannot wait to go back to Washington for a visit at the end of the month! I miss so many people there!

Sharon, bless her heart, was so patient to wait for this quilt. She finally received it just after Christmas! Yay for tracking numbers!


I want to show you the entire quilt first so you can see the big picture first. I was not sure how I wanted to quilt this for a good two days. Sometimes it takes a little while for the beginning designs to take shape in your mind. I finally decided on straight lines in the border. I felt straight lines were a good starting place and they look beautiful on smaller borders.
The next design aspect to think about was the Hunter Star motif. I wasn't sure whether I wanted to do feather leafs in them, stitch in the ditch, or split the design up into quadrants. As you can see I did none of those. I used a light pink thread from Superior Threads to complete this design. I believe that this was the best design for this motif, as it kept the star down, wasn't too dense or loose of quilting and accentuated Sharon's beautiful points. I love a good pieced quilt top!
 I finally decided on doing a feathered wreath for the center blocks. I really enjoyed doing the bump feathers in this quilt, especially with Quilter's Dream wool batting, as it gave the quilt more depth. Echoing around the feathered wreath was important for depth and also to fill the space up.
 
 The next quilting design was the strips connecting the stars. I chose to do single feathers in these areas. I wanted this quilt to have a softer look than a more rigid, straight line appearance. I accomplished this through echoing, and feathers. 

Sometimes it takes a little while to get your mojo going. In the end, you are creative, your customer is happy, and the quilt is beautiful. Be patient with yourself. All good things take time. When I find myself not knowing what motif to do or where to begin, I start to doodle, I go on Pinterest for ideas, and I also look at past quilts on my Instagram to see what has worked and what I would change. Just get into your studio and play! This is supposed to be fun, not stressful. I love what I do because I can be creative, people trust me with their quilts, and at the end of the day, I have put my best work into every piece. I can't get mad at myself for that. 


Blessing to you all in this New Year! 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Place

Hello :)

Tulip Fields