Radiant Star



I love when long time clients bring me projects that have been sitting in their closets, all finished, except the machine quilting. This lovely lady, Marcia, brought me this top that she did a few years ago. Recently she found it while moving to a new house and just had to have it finished! It is just beautiful, right?!



Marcia wanted me to keep the quilting traditional. Many of you know that I love doing straight lines, so this was a challenge to keep it simple and traditional. Sometimes it isn't what you would put on the quilt, or what you prefer to quilt, but what your client wants. Because this quilt was traditional, it called for traditional quilting as well. I used Madeira's Monolon thread to outline the applique and go inside the applique as well. I love monofilament thread in projects like this because you can see the texture, not the thread, and it compliments the entire quilt. I also used Madeira's Monolon in the Radiant Star to do continuous curves.



After I had gone from top to bottom quilting the applique and Radiant Star in monofilament, I then went back to the top, changed thread to Superior So Fine and began the background fill of McTavishing. McTavishing is simple, classic, and really complimented this quilt. There was no need to add any other fill work, as what needed to pop was the applique and the Radiant Star. 


The picture below you can see that where the setting triangles are on the Radiant Star, I chose to do simple cross hatching. This added element really makes the Radiant Star stand out and gives it more depth and an added something special. 



This quilt was fun and simple. The result was classic as well. Only using three design elements, McTavishing, cross hatching, and continuous curves, in this quilt was the way to go. Marcia loved it as well, which is always icing on the cake! 

P.S. If you would like to keep up to date on the projects/quilts that are being worked on in the studio follow me on Instagram


Thanks for reading!

Now... a treat for you!

Mention the name of this blog "Radiant Star" and enjoy 20% off your next machine quilting service. Expires May 31, 2017.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Place

Hello :)

Tulip Fields