New Everything

This morning I slept in until....8:45. This is rare. Normally I am up at 5:45 to pack my husbands lunch, make him coffee and see him out the door. Then it is a few hours of coffee drinking and quilting. However, this morning I needed sleep so I did just that.

Sometimes I feel guilty sleeping in when my husband is at work. And then I start to think of all the things that I accomplish during the day and then it makes sense why I am so tired! I deserve the sleep! Yesterday I ripped out a portion of my new quilt (pattern to come soon) because I pieced the block incorrectly. So two hours later everything was back together and fantastic. Then I took the dogs for a walk and came back and did my own running. (We are currently staying with my aunt in her "love shack" which is a mother-in-law suite off the garage, and she has a treadmill inside her house so I really have no excuse not to exercise!) This was followed by paperwork and phone calls for our new house to close next week! I am so anxious to get in there! Mostly because I want our own space again and the second most important reason is to set up my studio! Ah!!! I had to run into the city and get the water set up in our name. Then back home to make dinner before I had to go to quilt club!

After dinner I was just pooped. I wanted to curl up in bed and just go to sleep. Tommy, however, encouraged me to drink a bit of coffee and to go to the Kalamazoo Log Cabin Quilters. So I listened to my husband and I went. The closer I got to the meeting place the more excited and nervous I became. I am used to my group and going with my grandmother and having the sense of belonging. When you move to a new area there is a sense of loss and intimidation when entering a room full of women who you know none of. Ad that to trying to promote your business and not look half asleep is another challenge! As I pulled into the parking lot of the church, it was packed! I had to search for a parking spot. I was nervous walking in the doors, but I was pleasantly surprised by seeing smiling faces and tables set up to welcome new quilters to the group. Last week I went into the local quilt shop and met a nice lady and she happened to be at the KLCQ and said hello again. After this my nerves were settled. Then, I feel this tap on my shoulder and turn around to meet Cheryl. Cheryl is on the Fellowship Committee and was so friendly to introduce me around and let me sit with her and her friends. I can tell she is a fun lady and can't wait to get to know more about her and the other ladies I sat next to. She even gave me a raffle ticket and said "Sometimes I win" and low and behold I had the lucky ticket and won a prize!!! This never happens to me! Needless to say the entire experience was a true blessing.

Moving to a new town has allowed me to grow as an individual. I have to put myself out there and promote my business. I have to meet people. I have to know what new roads to take to get me to Costco and the local quilt shops! Putting yourself out there only makes you grow as an individual and a businesswoman and I am so thankful to have a loving husband that pushes me when I need it.

I look forward to going back to the KLCQ next month. Cheryl has already invited me to a sub group that meets once a month. Another lady that I met has also invited me to join a mystery quilt. The entire night was a blast and I am so thankful for the hospitality of Cheryl and the KLCQ and their friendly members. Who knows.... maybe I'll win a raffle prize again next month!

Now, I just need to make my new badge!







P.S. If you see a new person show up to any group that you belong to, don't be afraid to go up and welcome them to the group. They are more nervous than you are! 

Comments

  1. Brianne it's so good to see this post. I'm glad you went to the KLCQ meeting. I had to leave early, but I hope to see you at the next one. Cheryl is a wonderful gal who will help you feel welcome. Hope to see you at BERNINA Sewing Center again soon.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Place

Hello :)

Tulip Fields