Lone Star

Hi Quilters!

I have been wanting to write about this quilt for about a month now. However, Pat, the owner, didn't want to let the "cat out of the bag" so to speak until our local quilt show, which happens to be this weekend! I am so thrilled to share it with you.



First of all, this quilt is huge! I want to say it is 110 x 110. Thank goodness Francis is 14' in length and can accommodate such a large quilt. Pat did such a wonderful job in choosing the colors for the Lone Star's. It really is a striking quilt and very masculine.


The outside border is between 6-8 inches. (I can't remember!) This is quite large for an outside border. I knew I wanted to do some kind of straight lines in this area because it is such a large quilt and I wanted it to hang nicely. I decided on doing some straight lines (see picture below) and doing some softer feathering in the star centers of the outside border as well (picture above). I am very pleased with how both turned out. I really enjoy doing "bump" feathers and also mixing in a swirl and a regular curved feather for some added texture.


In the lighter sections I came up with this design. I knew that these lighter areas were really going to pop and I wanted to do something extra special. I incorporated straight lines that radiate outward along with some curve and pebbling. It is a feast for the eyes!



Of course I had to leave the inside sashing last because I wasn't quite sure what I wanted to do. I finally decided to bring in some feathers and swirls to soften the quilt but also to pull in the feathers of the outside borders and the white areas of the Lone Star's.


The centers of the Lone Stars I decided to do continuous curves. I really like the simplicity of it. I did change thread a few times to match the overall color of each Lone Star. 


Here is a close up of one of the Lone Stars as it hung at the quilt show.

It is always fun to see other's quilts and to be able to bring them to life with my quilting. I am so thankful for clients who trust me to quilt their quilts. I am always learning and trying to find new ways to improve my quilting.

Thank you for reading and happy quilting!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Place

Hello :)

Tulip Fields