Mola Wall Hanging




Look at the fabulous color! Aren't Mola quilts just fantastic. The intricate stitchery and tiny little fabric pieces make for an eye catching piece. Gunvar, the owner of this piece, picked it up in Panama a few years ago. She explained to me that it was going to be a wall hanging. 


Gunvar explained that she did not want any quilting inside the Mola piece, just quilting in the black. At first I was a little worried. When the inside of such a large piece is not quilted it tends to "flop" forward. I made sure to explain this to her and she understood what I was explaining, but still insisted that it not be quilted, as she was going to mount it to a frame. So I did not quilt inside the Mola. 


What I did do, as you can see in the picture above, was stitch a 1/4" outside the Mola. Both Gunvar and I liked this idea of a so called echoing line around the Mola. It frames the beautiful stitchery and makes it clear where the piece is and where the quilting begins. 


 Gunvar brought her friend Liisa over to see the studio and she had a suggestion as to the quilting. I drew it out on a piece of paper and they both loved it! So on the frame it went and I began!


Can you tell that Gunvar's cat loved this piece too?!   :)   I liked the idea of a loose matchstick type design and a few swirls in and around the black border to mimic the curviness of the Mola piece itself. 


I was thrilled with how the piece turned out! So was Gunvar! I am sure it looks beautiful hanging in her home. Can't wait to see the next one she brings me!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Place

Hello :)

Tulip Fields