Glacier Star

Goodmorning Quilters!

I love being able to wake up, have a cup of coffee and then walk ten feet to my studio and start creating! There is something freeing about owning your own business. At times it is testing, hard, emotional. However, most days, especially in the profession that I am in, is gratifying, creative, and fun!

Since moving back home, I have distributed cards to the local shops and have been pleasantly surprised by the loyal customers that have returned to me upon hearing that I am back in town. I love the loyalty and the support to continue in my profession and to build back up the business. Thank you to those ladies who have called and said "Welcome home! Can I bring you a quilt?"

Anyways, on to the quilt!

Trish, is a member of our local club and brought me this Glacier Star quilt last month to quilt for the 2018 quilt show. She is ahead of the game! To be honest, it baffled me on how to quilt it. I went online to a Facebook site of longarm quilters and asked for suggestions. They pointed me to Judy Niemeyer's website where other designers had given suggestions on the quilting. With all the straight lines, small pieces, and spiky points, I felt like there was only so much creative design. When analyzing a quilt, I want to accentuate the piecing, especially with this quilt because of the massive amounts of time and energy that go into paper piecing.

Quilt laid out all quilted!


Outside border
I knew I wanted to do straight lines in the borders. The print of the fabric was quite busy and I believe it complimented the quilt and brought in the straight lines that I chose to do in the blue that you will see later on. I wanted those little "pie shapes" in the borders to stand out as well, so I echoed those and did a fill of swirls and pebbles.

Straight lines
I chose to echo the "glacier" points. It gives the quilt this sense of glowing out and also pulsing in.

Outside border up close
Here is another close up of the outside border with the straight lines and "pie" shape designs. You can also see the "wave" lines that I put next the the flying geese. When I began to do the flying geese I only did one line within them. I realized after I had completed about half of them, that it looked much better with a second line, so I went back and added another line.

Look at the quilting!
 A view from the top! The pebbling in the cream color really shows off the light parts. If you look closely you can see the pebble/swirl design in the blue as well. I wanted the quilt to have texture and compliment Trish's beautiful piecing.
Texture, texture, texture
 Another close up. A combination of straight lines, pebbles, and waves really compliments and enhances the quilt.
Continuous line curves in the diamonds
Oh diamonds! I swear it took me two days to decide what to do in those! I eventually decided to bring in a softer design with the continuous line curves. Can you tell I like echoing?!
Center star
The inside star from above. Look at all those straight lines!
Up close of center star
 I wanted something softer inside the star points so I came up with this design.
Another view of flying geese
I used the same design in the green batik you see above as I did in the "pie" piece in the border. By using the same designs in similar shapes throughout the quilt creates a balance. Really, in this quilt there are three designs: 1. straight lines, 2. swirls/pebbles and 3. waves. 

I enjoyed doing this quilt and would love to try my creative hand at another one to see what new design I could come up with! 

Thank You Trish for allowing me to do this for you! It was truly a pleasure to quilt this beauty! 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Place

Hello :)

Tulip Fields