Wonky Flying Geese

Every quilt is unique. The piecing tells the story of the time and patience the quilter put into their project. The color choices tell of a personality, either for a specific person or of themselves. This quilt was beautiful all around. The color was striking, class red and white with a splash of black. Being modern had me excited to work on it too! 

Fresh off Francis and ready to be squared and surged.

I chose to do straight lines in the 2" border. Straight lines in borders really help a quilt hang straight. Plus they are easy to quilt and with as much as this quilt had going on in the inside, the simplicity of the straight lines was the perfect pair.

Wonky flying geese. 

The wonky flying geese were tricky to figure out continuous quilting. The key to custom quilting is figuring out a plan to continuous quilt. This quilt I was able to figure out a path to continuous quilt and that made quilting the black/white flying geese and the red background around them easier, especially when I was using two different threads. Can you imagine starting and stopping on each background red, and then each wonky flying goose? I would go crazy! Plus it would be hours of work that could be avoided. Francis and I do this for a business so our goal is to make money, besides having fun! If you can cut down the time on a quilt by 50% by doing continuous quilting, it makes sense.

texture texture

In the white background I chose to do a fill of swirls and pebbles. I really like using this fill. It creates a stunning effect and also can soften a quilt with such sharp lines. Makes a good yin and yang.

I have to point out that each flying goose was a little different. In the picture below I was able to capture a "love you" goose.

"love you"

I decided to outline the center star. This allowed the star to radiate out. Filling in the background with the swirls and pebbles softened the quilt again and tied into the other white areas.


Straight lines and soft swirls and pebbles.

Every quilt has its own story. I am so blessed that quilters trust me to take their quilts and continue their story. I learn so many new techniques, skills, and styles with each quilt that Francis and I are able to complete. Thank you to all who trust us!



Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Place

Hello :)

Tulip Fields