Shoo Fly!

Today is Saturday. And a rainy one at that. I have been going through my Google Photos finding quilts that I haven't written about. Here is Norma's Quilt. I was able to give our local quilt club a few discount coupons and Norma was a lucky winner! She made this quilt for her granddaughter, but she can't have it until after our quilt show, which is in July! I always find it amusing that quilters make quilts and have them quilted but can't give them to the recipient until after a certain date. I mean if you have worked this hard you deserve to show it off! 

Working our way down the quilt.
 There are so many things I enjoyed about this quilt. I love the simple color way Norma chose. The black and white and gold are classics. I only used black and white thread (Superior So Fine #50) on this quilt. Black in the black and then white in the white and gold fabrics. I thought about changing to gold thread to quilt the gold, however, the amount of time to stop and start would have been tedious and frustrating. The compromise was white thread, which actually worked perfect as you can see there is some white to the gold.

Shoo Fly block1
 This Shoo Fly block is a great way to take a classic block and make it more modern. Incorporating a pinwheel in the center adds a fun touch, as does splitting the squares into rectangles and changing the colors. It also makes it fun to quilt!

Shoo Fly block2
You can see from this block that I did a fun curve in the white triangles to soften the look of the block. I also did straight lines in all the black. The reason I did straight lines in the black was because you wouldn't see the quilting. I chose to do more detailed quilting in the white spaces because you can see it! The one thing I have learned on my quilting journey is that if the fabric is dark and busy, you won't see the quilting. So don't waste time detail designing in those types of spaces. Spend your time wisely and detail design in the lighter spaces.

Morning sun texture
Fun Fact: The backing fabric was black. I used black thread in the bobbin on the entire quilt. Francis is an amazing piece of machinery to keep tension so perfect that I can use white thread on the top and black in the bobbin and not have any "peek a boos". I love my Innova!

Morning sun texture 
I tried to keep this quilt simple. Doing fun work in the white and simple straight lines in the black. I also liked doing straight lines in the black inner and outer border.

Straight lines in black
Can you see from this picture that I did simple Xs in the white squares and continues curves in the gold?
Fun feathers/leaves in the outer border
Norma was so proud of this quilt that she stood up at club and showed everyone her beautiful work! She was also gracious to mention "Dancing With Francis" as having quilted it. Thank you Norma! I hope your grand-daughter enjoys this quilt and the love that you put into it. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Place

Hello :)

Tulip Fields